Are words I definitely do not live by. I am so judgemental of books when I’m shopping based on the cover. If it doesn’t have an appealing cover design, odds are I will not pick it up to find out what it’s about. Snobbery, perhaps but I like pretty covers.
Some examples for you.
- Person on the cover- This doesn’t really appeal to me like it does to some people. Don’t get me wrong, she looks like a total badass on the cover of this book but it’s something I would file away to look up later, not something I would want to pick up right away.
- Praise for the book on the cover- I can’t stand it when there’s praise on the cover. It totally takes away from the cover and makes it look more disorganized and like there’s too much going on.
- Colors- I love the colors on the cover of this book! Had it not been for the color I might have overlooked it. I like blacks and blues and purples and grays on book covers. White is also a good color.
- Font and size of title- Those totally work with this book. I do wish Maas’s name was under the title but how it is set up works. Plus it has a cool title which immediately draws it attention.
I’d give this cover a B- overall. It’s not bad but it’s not one of my favorites. It took me a solid 6 months of hear non stop talk about how awesome it is for me to pick it up.
The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye
- The white cover- White covers are just so clean looking.
- Simplicity- The word “crown” is in the title so there’s a crown on the front cover. And the crown is shaped like a city which is pretty cool, in my opinion.
- Title and author name- Perfect placement on both so it makes the title, which is intriguing, the center of attention with the authors name smaller at the bottom.
- Praise for the book- Normally I don’t like it on the cover but this cover is so simply is doesn’t add clutter so I let it slide. Plus the print is so small compared to everything else it more or less gets overlooked.
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- The colors- How gorgeous is this color combo?! I love the blue and gold on the outside which causes you to focus on the darker interior of the cover which has the title. It really draws your eye to it!
- Title and author- The title takes up most of the interior in a cool font and in gold which draws your attention. Love the title too! It immediately made me think of Aladdin. And the name of the author is perfectly placed underneath in a smaller font which left room under it for the desert scene.
- A quick snippet- I love it when you can get a sense of the book from the cover. So I love that they put “They say she’ll always be more gunpowder than girl. The desert has other plans”. It makes it more intriguing and I haven’t even opened the book up yet!
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- I like that each book cover is related to the fairytale that it is retelling. And it is easy to tell which fairytale it is based off of by the cover. That really helped when I decided to pick up the series (I started it after the first three books had been published).
- Colors- I love that the covers on these books are dark! Black with the accent reds and some white and purple is so awesome! I am drawn to dark colors on books, especially when they have an accent color.
- Title and author name- All of the books have predominant titles with the author name small at the bottom.
- Short titles- For some reason I find short titles on books appealing, especially one word titles.
Overall I give the series a B+. You might be wondering why because I seem to like a lot about the covers but the cover of the first book is less appealing than the rest for me and it made me hesitant to pick up the book.
- Simplicity- They are beautiful and simple covers. They tie into what the book is about and hints at the story ahead of time.
I can’t really think of anything else to say I just know I adore the covers on her books!!
All of his books have fun, brightly colored covers. They make his books look as interesting as they are and they always tie into the title and the story. Solid cover design for his books.
Stay tuned for part 2: Bad Covers whenever I get around to writing it up! Hope you enjoyed this one and id love to hear about some of the book covers you love!