Ebooks are such a huge topic of debate in the book community. Some people love them. Some people think they are blasphemous and will only read physical copies of books. So I am curious as to where you fall in this debate.
Do you read on an ereader? Do you only read physical books?
I have a kindle, recently I upgraded to a backlit one for reading at night, and I absolutely love it! I’ll give you my reasons why.
- It’s super small, lightweight, and very easy to transport. It’s so convienent to be able to grab my kindle and throw it in my purse when I have a long day at work or if I have an appointment to get to and I might have to sit and wait. I love reading actual books but sometimes they’re just too cumbersome to carry around (i.e. Harry Potter or Outlander).
- Storage space. You can fit tons of books on an ereader! I have 100+ books on my kindle and I can fit hundreds if not thousands more! And I can carry all those books around with me wherever I go. All I need is an outlet every so often to charge it up and I’m set.
- Cost. Yes, the ereader can be expensive if you don’t find a great deal on one. But it will pay for itself eventually. First, ebooks are so much cheaper than regular books and their prices are constantly changing and there’s always deals! And there’s always deals for free books! Plus I have a bit of a spoiler for some of you…..
- Ebooks from the library are amazing to use! I recently learned that when I borrow a library ebook, Amazon gives me the option to “download now” which saves the book to my computer. So I can put it back on my kindle permanently when the loan ends. How awesome?! Or, if you want to be more upstanding than me, just shut the wifi off and you can keep it as long as you want.
- Reading speed. For some reason I read so much faster on my kindle than with a regular book. I don’t know why, it’s just something that happens.
- It doesn’t stop you from owning the actual books. I own all the Harry Potter books and have copies on my kindle. That way I don’t have to lug around all 870 pages of Order of the Phoenix when I go to work, instead I can read it on my kindle. I have multiples of Outlander and A Song of Ice and Fire as well because the books are so long.
I am clearly an ebook advocate. But it doesn’t mean I don’t love books. I own even more books than ebooks. I just like having the convenience of the ebook.
So let me know your thoughts!