I don’t know about you, but if I’m going to be settling down for a day of reading I have a checklist I go through before I settle in. So, I thought I would take a few moments and discuss what’s on my list!
1) Hide the cellphone: I have a short attention span. So, if I have my cellphone with me when I’m settling in to read, odds are I’ll be on it quite a lot. Especially because I do all of my Instagramming and blogging from my phone so I’m constantly checking both sites.
2) Make food: I’m really big on eating while reading. So before I settle in I have to make whichever meal time it might be or put together some kind of snack to chow down on. I also need to figure out what I’m going to be drinking with my meal/snack and make that if I have to. Or maybe just make a smoothie and kill two birds with one stone.
3) Find my comfortable reading spot of the day: I love being comfy when I read but I also don’t like to read in the same spot all the time. Therefore, I must improvise some days. My favorite place to read during the summer is outside in the sun so I try to get out there as much as possible when the weather allows it. If not I mix it up within the house. Sometimes I’ll read on my bed, sometimes at the kitchen table, and sometimes in the living room in front of the picture window. It’s all going to depend. During the winter a blanket is a must for reading. There’s nothing better than snuggling under a blanket with a book!
4) Background noise: Normally, I like a little bit of background noise when I read. When I get the opportunity to read outside, nature takes care of the background noise for me so I don’t have to worry about it. But when I get home from work and I’m going to read for the night I love finding a sporting event on tv and throwing it on as background noise. I’m a huge sports fan so it helps me to multitask! I just wait until I hear the announcers getting really excited about something to look up! It’s pretty easy to tell when the action is happening vs when it isn’t.
5) Warn the family: If I don’t want to be bothered because I want to read I have to make sure I inform my family. If they don’t abide by the “leave me alone I’m reading” rule then I just lock my bedroom door ….
6) Pick out/up my book and bookmark: This is the obvious step here. I feel like I don’t need to explain this one.
Do you have any steps you take when getting ready to read for the day?
I know I’m going to be putting these bad boys into effect the next few days while I enjoy a long weekend!