So I saw my younger cousin this past weekend and she is an avid reader like I am. Recently she started reading The Lunar Chronicles series and she adored it so I let her borrow my copies of Scarlet and Cress. So it prompted me to think about some book borrowing etiquette.
Here are my rules for book borrowing:
- NO writing or highlighting in the book. I don’t do it so you can’t do it.
- NO dog earring corners.
- ALWAYS use a bookmark. If you don’t have one I can provide one for you.
- DO NOT intentionally break the spine. Accidents happen, I get that. Sometimes you get really into a book and it just happens. But do not fold back/flex the book so the spine cracks. It’s not that difficult to tell the intentional cracks vs the accidents.
- Return the book in a timely fashion. This is a library you have a due date. If you need more time, just ask.
- You cannot have the dust jacket with a hardcover. I learned my lesson after leaving one on and getting the book back but never seeing the cover again.
- You ruin it, you replace it.
Any rules on your list I might have missed?